For the story: Jammin’ Through the Holidays with Pumpkin Pasticiotti
Ingredients for the pumpkin jam filling (also known as marmellata di zucca):
- 1.8 kg/ 64 oz grated sugar pumpkin (alternative: acorn squash)
- 1.8 kg/ 64 oz white granulated sugar
- 15 g/ 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 15 g/ 1 tbsp tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for the “pasticiotti” dough:
- 1 kg/ 35 oz flour
- 200 g/ 7 oz lard (sugna)
- 100 g/ 3.5 oz salted butter (room temperature)
- 50 g/ 1.76 oz extra virgin olive oil
- 350 g/ 12.35 oz white granulated sugar
- 32 g/ 1.13 oz baking powder
- 4 organic eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
How to make the filling*:
- Combine all ingredients into a large pot.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Allow mixture to simmer for about 45 to 60 minutes. Stir often and reduce heat as necessary to avoid contents sticking to the pot.
- Jam will be ready when mixture becomes thick — almost translucent (no run off from your spoon).
- Place in sterilized jars and seal once cooled.
*Recommendation: Make this filling a day or two before you make your cookies. Otherwise you will burnout! 🙂
How to make “pasticiotti” dough:
- In a mixer, combine the following until well blended: flour, lard (cut into 1/2 inch pieces), butter at room temperature (cut into 1/2 inch pieces), and extra virgin oil
- Then add sugar, baking powder, eggs (one at a time), vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Continue to mix well until a dough ball forms.
- Remove from the mixer and gently work the dough to form a rectangle or large brick.
- Lightly flour the exterior, wrap with clear plastic wrap and let rest in the refrigerator for an hour.
How to fill, stamp and bake your cookies:
- Preheat your oven at 180° C/ 350° F
- Once your dough has chilled, remove from refrigerator and set aside.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of flour on a clear and clean working table.
- Cut the dough into four equal pieces. Take one and cover the remaining pieces with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Dust your rolling pin with flour and gently roll out your first piece, maintaining a long rectangular shape as best as possible.
- Imagine working with 4 inch sections at a time.
- Take one tsp of jam and place it about 1/4 inch away from one edge of your 4 inch (w) rectangle.
- Flip over the dough to cover the jam filling. Press dough gently with your fingers around the enclosed jam.
- With a ravioli stamp, press down to cut your cookie.
- Gently pop cookie out from the ravioli stamp*.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat. (Leave about 1/2 inch between each cookie).
- When finished lining up your cookies, place baking sheet on the middle rack of your oven and bake until slightly golden in color (within approx. 15 minutes).
- Remove immediately and set aside to cool.
- Sprinkle with confectionery sugar**.
*Important: When using a ravioli stamp, make sure to take the access dough/scraps and cover with plastic wrap. You can reshape the dough and make more cookies later.
**Serving Suggestion: This is one cookie best served the day after!