For the Story: Italian 101: “La Frittata”
For the Frittata:
8 whole eggs (medium)
170 g/ 6 oz porcini mushrooms- finely chopped
1 yellow pepper (medium)
170 g/ 6 oz prosciutto- finely chopped
1 leek finely chopped (medium)
57 g/ 2 oz white onion- finely chopped (medium)
170 g/ 6 oz fontina- grated (set aside 57 g/ 2 oz for sprinkling)
4 fresh basil leaves- finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
extra virgin olive oil
The Hardware: 10 inch round baking dish
The Prep Work:
- Adjust oven rack, second from the top
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Keeping all vegetables separate, finely chop the leeks (white and light green part only), the porcini, yellow bell pepper, onions and basil.
- Carefully butter your baking dish.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoon oil in a non-stick skillet.
- Add onions, add pinch of salt and stir often until soft and translucent (5 minutes)
- Add leeks and stir often until soft (5 minutes)
- Add porcini, yellow pepper and basil, stirring often. Cook just until liquid has evaporated (up to 10 minutes).
- While vegetables are cooking, whisk eggs in a bowl.
- Add 4 oz of fontina and prosciutto. Mix well.
- Gently pour mixture into bake dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 F or until top of frittata and golden brown and center is firm.
- Sprinkle remaining 2 oz of fontina on top of warm frittata.
- Serve warm or room temperature.