Crespelle is the Italian word for “crepes”. If you are a chocolate lover like “moi”, then prepare yourself for pure enjoyment.
We all deserve the occasional splurge. I usually save this for the weekend. So take your time and enjoy!
Note to Moms: Make a few minis and you are a guaranteed hit with the kids!
Ingredients for the filling:
3 bananas (medium)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp nutella
Ingredients for the Crespelle:
1 cup flour (sifted)
6 oz milk
6 oz water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
1/2 tsp sugar
butter (to grease skillet)
Ingredients for chocolate sauce topping:
1/3 cup chocolate morsels (60% cacao)
1 tbsp nutella
1 oz milk
Prep work for the filling:
- In a medium bowl, mash bananas with cinnamon, then add 1 tbsp of nutella.
- Mix well until fully blended.
Prep work for the chocolate sauce:
- In a small pot, add chocolate morsels, 1 tbsp of nutella and 1 oz of milk.
- Put on low heat and stir until chocolate sauce has a nice drizzle-worthy consistency. Do not let the chocolate boil.
- Once done, set aside off burner.
Prep work for the crespelle:
- In a medium bowl, sift flour and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix egg, sugar, salt and vanilla extract.
- Then add just a bit of sifted flour to egg mixture and begin to whisk.
- Slowly add a bit of milk, then add more flour. Alternate between both flour and milk.
- When you come close to finishing the milk, slowly add a bit of water.
- Whisk continuously as you add water, until the texture feel just right (not too watery). Adjust water amount accordingly.
Making the crespelle:
- Turn on stove top to medium-high heat.
- In a large non-stick skillet, add a little bit of butter to grease the pan.
- Let the butter melt, then add 3/4 of a ladle at a time of batter to the pan. (Try to make 4 inch circles)
- Let the crespella cook until edges slightly lift from the pan.
- Before flipping crespelle, test by slightly lifting the edges and shaking the pan. If it releases and slides, gently flip it over. Don’t be afraid to help it along. Just be gentle.
- Cook carefully until slightly golden.
- Repeat the process, adding a touch of butter to the pan as necessary (if dry).
- In a plate, layer your cooked crespelle one on top of the other.
- Fill each crespella in the center, (making a line-like formation), with about 1 1/2 tbsp of filling.
- Fold over, right side, then left to form a triangle. (It’s like swaddling a baby folks).
- Carefully transfer each crespella to a plate.
- Add a dusting of confectionery sugar.
- Then pour a touch of chocolate sauce (if texture needs adjusting, reheat sauce on low).
Congratulations on a job well done! Enjoy!